Monday, October 6, 2014

Week Four - The New Weird





weird
wird/
adjective
  1. 1.
    suggesting something supernatural; uncanny.
    "the weird crying of a seal"

    synonyms:uncannyeerieunnaturalsupernaturalunearthlyotherworldly,ghostlymysteriousstrangeabnormalunusual;


    So what is Weird? If we are calling the New Horror/scary films a form of the new weird then I can certainly agree. Not only are film makers having to come up with new and crazy situations to scare people (most in which could/would never happen) but people are all so demanding that they come up with new way to scare the living hell out of people!

     I personally love being scared by these sorts of movies because a majority of it is the scare thrill. Plus the more creepy freaky the movie is the bigger chance it has to be made into a Scare House in Hallow Scream or Halloween Horror Nights. Two things in which I love participating in every year with my friends.

    I chose to read Monster Island. I'v got to say I had no idea how much I would love this online novel but I had to stop my self in order to write about it. The Weird, the word weird is defiantly used in terms of the unnatural, eerie and abnormal; which is exactly how I would describe a Zombie epidemic. This online novel not only took the unnatural weirdness of zombies but also things humans find weird even in todays times, the girl soldiers whom had been subjected to the Female circumcision, people in the western world find that so strange, and horrible. A father leaving a daughter behind in a disgusting excuse for life and knowing thats the best she's ever going to get. not many people ever experience that so to read about it makes you feel very strange like your missing something.
     


    Zombies were the main attraction to the weird in Monster Island. The Undead, nothing could be weirder than a dead human being returning to life as a flesh eating monster. People have been obsessed with this notion for years and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.
    Maybe someone will go as far as creating a Zombie virus.


    I would defiantly recommend reading Monster Island- especially if you are from the States, it will most certainly be a weird and terrifyingly satisfying read.






No comments:

Post a Comment