Monday, October 6, 2014

Week Three - Asian Horror

I read some of the Ghost stories from Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things by Lafcadio Hearn 

I read a few but the two that stuck with me were the last two I read. Before I talk about them Iv got to tell you all that you need to read these at night with some traditional Japanese music playing in the background- it defiantly sets the right mood.

The Dead Secret was probably my favorite because it had those scary elements without being too upsetting. Its sort of a classic ghost story in which she doesn't want to harm anyone but she also isn't finished here on earth. My thought was that her secret (SPOILER) letter at the bottom drawer might have not just been a love letter- maybe she wrote it knowing she would die? Suicide ghosts often feel as though they haven't finished their job in the mortal world. at least this way the spirit could go to rest.
The short story reminded me of the tv show Ghost whisperer. She helps ghosts finish what they need to before moving on and thats exactly what the priest did for the dead mother. A kabuki performance would be a perfect rendition for The Dead Secret.
I might do my own in a comic style.

Yuki-Onna I picked to read because I had heard the name before and was curious to what story was behind it. Creepy for sure. I was really creeped out by this story not just because of the content but also because of the atmosphere I had created in my room whilst reading it. The music brought my fear to a whole new level. Yuki- Onna was one sly SOB to go threw all that trouble just to get some guy for telling a secret. scary bitch.

I will be reading the rest of these stories on my own time, I recommend them to anyone with a sense of fearsome adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment