Monday, October 6, 2014

Week Two - The Vampire

Vampires have got to be one of my favorite 'monsters' in novels today. I have both read and seen Interview with a Vampire and loved both, although the book is always better. I chose to re-watch the Interview and read Stephanie Meyer's Twilight.
Eh. I dont really look at Twilight as a novel about Vampires since I must certainly agree with the angry crowds that Vampires do NOT sparkle. I much prefer the creepy, dark creatures to these well educated sparkly demons.
Not to say other Vampires in other stories are not well educated, but come on. There has got to be a better way to spend your'e immortal years then repeatedly putting yourself threw high school. Yet high school was my own personal hell, and this specific set of Fangs thinks that they all deserve to rot in hell then to be walking the earth taking lives.
Thats why they all went vegi! This is really where the author lost me, you cannot be a real threat to me if you don't need to drink my blood, therefore in my eyes, I lose complete interest. The very reason I like Vampires is the danger about it. you cant tame them because in a sense they are a wild beast, their thirst ultimately means more to them then you do.
Meyer takes that away in her novel- while in Anne's she really makes the vampire tragic and beautiful without having to go to extremes with the vegi idea (although Louis does try). Lestat is sort of my hero vampire in that way he stays as a monster and what all true vampires should be. They are creatures of the night who long for the day. He gives into his true nature of the vampire and doesn't try to change it.
Louis and Stephanie Meyers vegi vampires do share some traits in that he wishes to keep as much of his human self he can as do the Cullens and he is tormented by the past and sees himself as a monster. I believe this was done so that us as a reader would not want to be led down a path and become like them. either way you are doomed as a vampire to walk this earth as a powerful killing cunning killing machine or a sad immortal being forever locked in conflict with ones self, which I think
some humans already do for the duration of their life.
The saddest monster ever created was the Immortal Vampire.

At least in Disney's kid version 'The Little Vampire' they gave the population a fresh start as humans.
That was nice of them..... I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment