Monday, December 1, 2014

Week Eight- Mythic Fiction and Contemporary Urban Fantasy

This week I decided to read a bit of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Going into this book I knew nothing about it but had heard all the hype and excitement around it. So naturally when I found it on my reading list I thought, well lets see what all the fuss is about!

I generally like it, its a bit different than what I am used too but in a good way. It is refreshing! now I want to go a head and say I didnt read it all ( in fact I was time pressed so I listened to and Audio Book)  but I got enough of it to see how Gaiman has played with myth and reinventing myth for the contemporary world

Before I go any further, here is a link from youtube for the audio book!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4FHMFPw0Ug

Its Neil reading too!! :D

Okay, The book starts out super depressing with the death of this little boys pet cat fluffy, in which this gruff man just thinks its okay to give a cat for a cat and replaces fluffy with his evil counterpart- Monster the ginger terror! as the story unfolds you fins little things a bit outa place or strange but not strange enough that you are bothered by it. until the main character ( a little boy) meets a 11 year old girl. Only this 11 year old girl isn't actually 11, she is much older. Saddly I started to turn out a bit since I personally can only listen and be talked to for a certain amount of time and 3 hours is quite alot.
I had heard enough to decide that I want to go pick up this novel in a bookstore sometime over the weekend. The definante theme for  The Ocean At The End of The Lane- Things are not always as they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment